Stay informed of the week’s notable events and shared resources with this curated list of Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- “The Senate on Thursday confirmed Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, making her the first Black woman to be elevated to the pinnacle of the judicial branch in what her supporters hailed as a needed step toward bringing new diversity and life experience to the court.” NY Times
- “The discovery of civilians’ bodies on the streets of Bucha, a suburb of Kyiv, has sparked international condemnation, calls for an investigation into possible Russian war crimes and vows that new sanctions are coming.” Washington Post
- “Lawmakers in Oklahoma on Tuesday approved a near-total ban on abortion, making it the latest Republican-led state to forge ahead with stringent abortion legislation as the Supreme Court weighs a case that could overturn Roe v. Wade later this year.” NY Times
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Center for Effective Philanthropy: NEW on the blog, CEP’s @philxbuchanan reflects on the paradox of the heroism shown by #nonprofits over the last 2 years coupled with declining rates of #trust and #giving from American households – and what we can all do about it: #philanthropy #funders Two Years Later, Part One: Nonprofit Heroism Up, Trust Down
- Phil Buchanan: A clarion call for donors and foundations to support an independent and free press, from @VinceDaily. Powerful, important message. Amid War, a Clear and Collective Call to Support Public Interest Media in Ukraine
- Lucy Bernolz: New report on global nature of giving Informal Giving + Community Care Around the World
- Nonprofit Quarterly: “Federal funds are only as effective as their distribution channels. Right now, the distribution system is stacked against historically marginalized communities.” — @kresgefdn’s Lois DeBacker & Joe Evans https://bit.ly/3j5c5my #ClimateJustice @Harvard_JCHS @urbaninstitute @SBAgov
- NY Times Tech: Yes, it’s that time of year again when the tax scams and bogus charity solicitations really start piling up in your in-box. Here’s how to quickly spot a fraud attempt and report it. Spring Is Here! Here’s How to Spot the Seasonal Scams.
- Gene: Attorney General Bonta Announces Stipulated Judgment Against [Fiscal Sponsor] for Misspending Donations | cautionary tale
- Institute for Nonprofit Practice: “When we focus on technical skills and the ability to donate, there is a risk that board members will lack connection to the people being served” – @AnneWallestad President & CEO of @BoardSource on Purpose Driven Board Leadership #INPLLS
- Philantopic: “Donating in #crypto helps donors preserve their anonymity even while donating millions of dollars. However, such anonymity might not last long as many countries increase their crypto regulations.” http://ow.ly/45IL30sgFYV @CoinDesk
- Stanford HAI: If AI skills and capital are concentrated only among a small group of people, then their views are shaping which problems AI will be used to solve, and which ones are built and deployed globally, says @DigCivSoc @StanfordPACS Practitioner Fellow @sabelonow. The Movement to Decolonize AI: Centering Dignity Over Dependency
- Dr. Charlie Gardner: Today, along with hundreds of scientists around the work, I aim to be arrested in the global #scientistrebellion. I’d really rather not, but unless more people take this non-radical path everything will be destroyed
Racial Equity / BLM:
‘We Belong in These Spaces’: Jackson’s Successors Reflect on Her Nomination (Linda Qiu, NY Times)
America’s Caste System With Isabel Wilkerson (The Problem With Jon Stewart)
Latinos have many skin tones. Colorism means they’re treated differently. (Rachel Hatzipanagos, Washington Post)
A New Movement on Standing Rock (Code Switch)
If there are any attorneys or law students who identify as Black, Native Americans, or Pacific Islanders who are interested in nonprofit corporate and tax-exemption laws and who’d like to pursue this area of practice, I’m committing one hour each week to being a resource. Please contact me if I can be of service.